Do You or Someone You Love Need Treatment for a Diet Pill Addiction?
If you are struggling with an addiction to diet pills, you may find that it is difficult to break the addiction cycle on your own, no matter how determined you are. Diet pills are highly addictive, and without professional help and treatment, you are risking your health and your life. Are you overwhelmed with the physical, emotional, or psychological consequences that may have resulted from your addiction? If you or a loved one is seeking the help needed to overcome a diet pill addiction, you can take the first step towards recovery by recognizing the problem. Being aware of the signs and symptoms that indicate the severity of the diet pills addiction will be helpful in confronting the problem, such as physical complications or emotional disturbances, such as cardiovascular difficulties or low self-esteem. In the case that other disorders are co-occurring, such as mood disorder or eating disorder, the diet pill addiction can become more complicated. Any unresolved psychological trauma or abuse can intertwine these diseases with a common thread, and it would be important to address all issues that may be connected to the diet pill addiction. Though the journey towards recovery from diet pills is both difficult and challenging, having the help of a diet pill treatment facility can offer the support needed for the healing process.
Diet Pill Addiction Rehab Centers
At Addiction Hope, we understand how confusing the process of finding a reliable treatment center for diet pills can be. For this reason, we have established a directory with carefully compiled diet pill rehabilitation centers. Please utilize this helpful tool when deciding on a program for overcoming a diet pill addiction that would be best suited for you and your unique needs.
Treatment Plan for a Diet Pill Addiction
The approach for recovery from diet pill addiction must be comprehensive. Typically, it will include a diet pills addiction center, a qualified therapist, and supportive friends and family. This will form the foundation of a multi-faceted treatment plan that will be necessary for any man or woman seeking to overcome their addiction to diet pills.
- Ask for help – Start with family and friends as they will be a vital part in overcoming an addiction. They can be the support and motivator for recovery.
- Find a therapist – A therapist who specializes in diet pills addiction will be able to create an individualized diet pills detox plan. They will also help find and provide the resources needed for recovery.
- Find a diet pills rehabilitation program – A diet pills treatment program will provide support in dealing with any physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms. Additional co-occurring addictions or disorders that may exist will also be evaluated.
- Support group – A support group can provide accountability and guidance which is important. They will provide assistance when facing the trials of preventing a relapse. They will be important in assisting to continue abstinence.
Diet Pill Addiction Treatment Levels
The severity of a diet pills addiction and the inclusion of any co-occurring disorders will be evaluated when determining the primary level of treatment needed for recovery. Typically, a therapist seen in an outpatient level or an addiction support group are the levels of treatment for diet pill addiction, but more restrictive levels of care are available based on the severity of the addiction. The following are the most common levels of treatment for diet pill addiction, in order of acuteness:
- Inpatient Hospitalization – Around the clock (24hr) hospitalization is received. Hospitals focus on the most serious cases where the patient cannot function by themselves because of drug dependence or medical issues, with a goal of getting them healthy enough to exit the hospital in a few weeks’ time.
- Outpatient Management Programs – In this level of care, individuals can usually maintain their normal schedules while continuing treatment. The patient has fewer limitations placed on them but still include individualized treatment and group sessions.
- Support Groups – Support groups fill a valuable role in overcoming an addiction. They provide accountability and understanding as the members have all gone through similar situations.
Types of Treatment for Diet Pill Abuse
While withdrawal symptoms can be experienced from diet pills, the effects are not typically managed with other medications. In order to safely withdraw from the drug, medical professionals will usually outline a step-down weaning process to minimize the effects experienced from withdrawal. The primary focus of treatment will be on behavioral therapies in order to heal from underlying issues associated with the diet pill addiction.
Types of Therapy for Diet Pill Addiction
Psychological counseling or behavioral therapy will focus on addressing underlying issues that may have influenced the progression of the addiction. Behavioral therapies are important in recognizing and treating the root cause of the addiction. The following are common types of behavioral therapies used in the recovery process from a diet pill addiction:
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) – The level of therapy provided by IPT centers upon the interpersonal connections and community functions utilizing brief supportive treatment and also tries to assist the person to better resolve existing situations and troubles. The four main parts acknowledged by IPT are role changes, relationship shortcomings, unresolved grief, and role disputes.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – This level of treatment works toward changing maladaptive thinking patterns so the patient can modify their behavior in a positive way. This also allows negative coping skills to be replaced with positive coping skills.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) – This level of rehab integrates the common behavioral therapy components of IBT and CBT for the regulation of emotions. The introduction of stress management and mindful awareness are key for this therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – ACT is a type of cognitive behavioral therapy that uses acceptance and mindfulness strategies combined in various ways with commitment and behavior-change strategies. This is to increase mental and emotional flexibility.
- Supportive Programs – These are programs like the 12 step program Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). It also includes support groups, group therapy, family therapy, etc.
While the journey towards recovery from a diet pill addiction may be a difficult one to endure, it is what is necessary to regain your life. Your treatment and recovery process may last longer than you desire or expect, but in the long run, you are creating a brighter future for yourself. There is nothing more valuable than your own life and wellness, and you are worthy of freedom from addiction and recovery. At Addiction Hope, we believe that recovery can be possible for anyone, no matter how impossible it may seem. We encourage you to take the first step towards recovery by accessing our resources to help you find a diet pill rehab center and overcome a diet pill addiction today.
Last Updated & Reviewed By: Jacquelyn Ekern, MS, LPC on April 1, 2014
Published on AddictionHope.com, Information on Substance Abuse