Do You or Someone You Love Need Sleep Disorder Treatment?
Are you or a loved one living with a sleeping disorder? If so, you know how frustrating it is to not be able to sleep through the night, or in some cases, not be able to stay awake throughout the day. There are multiple ramifications of dealing with a sleep disorder. A sleep disorder can affect your mental acuity; it can negatively influence your physical health; and the sleep disorder can have detrimental consequences on your social life as well by being late for work or sleeping on the job. Unfortunately, there is not a single universal treatment that can help alleviate the harmful effects of a sleeping disorder. There are several variations of sleeping disorders some of them include:
- Narcolepsy – Inability to stay awake
- Insomnia – Inability to go to sleep
- Restless leg syndrome – Uncontrollable urge to move the legs, often feel aches, pains, and burning sensations
- REM sleep behavior disorder
- Sleep terror – Sudden awakening with intense fear and screams or crys
- Tooth-grinding (Bruxism )
- Sleep talking
- Sleep sex (Sexsomnia)
Sleep disorders often will co-exist with other issues such as depression, eating disorders or alcohol and substance abuse. If you, a friend, or a family member is fighting a sleep disorder, then find help now. A sleep disorder rehab facility can help you or a loved one learn how to manage the disorder as well as help overcome any other coexisting problems. Assistance is available. You can live a normal life and sleep through the night.
Treatment Plan for Sleep Disorder
Fighting a sleep disorder and struggling to sleep through the night can be difficult to live with as it can take a toll on one’s health. In developing a healing regime, you first need to develop a treatment team. This group will consist of your loved ones, a sleep disorder treatment center, a licensed therapist and a support group.
- Friends and Family – Friends and family are important in the healing process and should not be underestimated. They can be the support and motivator for healing.
- Professional psychologist – A professional psychologist can help produce a custom-made sleep disorder treatment program. They will also help find and provide the resources needed for healing.
- Sleep disorder psychotherapy facility – A sleep disorder psychotherapy program will help increase the odds for successfully dealing with a sleep disorder. Additional co-occurring addictions or disorders that may exist will also be evaluated.
- Join a support group – It is imperative that a support group is joined due to the insight and direction they can provide. In order to prevent the ending of therapy and taking medications, the group can offer much needed help. Their participation is vital and cannot be underestimated.
Treatment Levels for Sleep Disorder
The levels of treatment for sleep disorders differ on the intensity required for treatment. The requirement for more thorough programs such as inpatient programs, sleep disorder residential treatment centers, partial hospitalization programs (PHP), and intensive outpatient programs (IOP) are seldom necessary. The more commonly employed management levels for sleep disorders are:
- Outpatient Management Programs – While the outpatient program simulates an IOP, it is not as rigorous. Group sessions and individual therapy are still incorporated, while there are fewer restraints on personal movement.
- Support Group Programs – The support made available by the group is crucial in managing a sleep disorder. They provide accountability and understanding as the members have all gone through similar situations.
Types of Pharmacological Therapy for Sleep Disorder Treatment
There are some temporary pharmacological solutions that will aid in helping someone sleep, but there can be some serious side effects. In the short term and with behavioral therapy, some sleep aids can be beneficial in helping the sufferer to manage a sleep disorder. The combination of psychological counseling and sleeping pills can often provide the best results and a sleep disorder treatment center can assist with implementing both the medicinal and mental treatments. Some sleeping aids include:
- Other Hypnotics
- Natural Herbs
Types of Therapy for Sleep Disorder Treatment
Often, the most effective way to handle sleep disorders is through a combination of pharmacological and behavioral treatments. The goal of therapy is to learn how to manage the disorder. Sleep disorder rehab centers will frequently employ multiple behavior therapy treatments so as to give the sufferer as many tools as possible to deal with the disorder. Some of the therapy options include:
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) – This rehabilitation type pays attention to the interpersonal relationships and cultural roles using concise supportive analysis and works to assist patient’s to uncover better tools to address problems and issues that currently exist. There are four basic areas identified by IPT, which are unresolved grief, role disputes, role changes, and relationship shortcomings.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – This level of treatment works toward changing maladaptive thinking patterns so the patient can modify their behavior in a positive way. It also helps the patient replace negative coping skills with positive coping skills.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) – This version of behavioral therapy combines aspects of IBT and CBT behavioral therapy for emotion regulation. It introduces mindful awareness and stress management components into the therapy.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – ACT is a form of cognitive behavioral therapy that implements commitment and behavior-change strategies by combining acceptance and mindfulness strategies in several different ways. This is to increase mental and emotional flexibility.
- Supportive Programs – This type of therapy includes programs such as family therapy, group therapy, support groups, etc. These support groups allow those suffering with a sleep disorder to seek guidance from those that have dealt with a sleep disorder longer.
Sleep disorders can be difficult to live with and to manage, but it can be done. Sleep disorder treatment centers can help with the testing, medication, and behavior therapy so you can learn to manage the disorder. It can have a serious negative impact on your health and possibly your life. Seeking professional treatment can lead to better sleep and a better life. Do not go another night struggling with a sleep disorder. Ask someone for help.
Last Updated & Reviewed By: Jacquelyn Ekern, MS, LPC on April 15th, 2013
Published on AddictionHope.com, Help Guide for Substance Abuse