Do You or Someone You Love Need Narcissistic Personality Disorder Treatment?
Though narcissistic personality disorder is a lesser known and understood personality disorder, it can still have a tremendous impact on the life of anyone who may be struggling with it. If you or your loved one has been suffering with narcissistic personality disorder, you may see the ramifications of this mental health illness by examining your social life, emotional and physical well-being. Do you often put others down to make yourself feel better? Are you struggling to maintain any type of healthy relationship in your life due to self-centered behaviors? If you are finding yourself increasingly isolated from others, struggling with low self-esteem, or with a need for deep admiration and respect, you may benefit from narcissistic personality disorder treatment.
There are numerous ways in which your life can continue to be affected by narcissistic personality disorder, and for this reason, it is important for your overall health and wellness that you obtain the help and guidance from a narcissistic personality disorder treatment center. Consider taking the first and most important step towards recovery from narcissistic personality disorder by recognizing the reality of this mental health issue and how it may be debilitating to your life and loved ones. It is not unusual for an individual dealing with narcissistic personality disorder to also be suffering with other co-occurring mental disorders, such as substance abuse or another type of mental health issue. These mental health issues can effectively be addressed if professional help is sought in an appropriate setting, such as with an accredited narcissistic personality disorder treatment center. Having professional narcissistic personality disorder treatment during this time can promote healing and offer guidance so that the narcissistic personality disorder process is dealt with in a healthy manner.
Treatment Plan for Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Treatment for narcissistic personality disorder begins by establishing a core treatment plan. By creating a support system of narcissistic personality disorder professionals and loved ones, you will have a comprehensive foundation to your recovery. Your support system will consist of loved ones, a therapist, a narcissistic personality disorder rehabilitation program, and a support group. These four components will serve as your recovery foundation and contribute tremendously to your ability to find healing from any underlying issues connected with this mental health condition.
- Ask for help – Start with family and friends as they will be a vital part in dealing with narcissistic personality disorder. They can be the support and motivator for healing.
- Licensed counselor – A licensed counselor will be able to create a personalized narcissistic personality disorder treatment program. They are also important in making the arrangements to enter a narcissistic personality disorder treatment facility.
- Search for a narcissistic personality disorder treatment facility – A narcissistic personality disorder program will assist with working through any physical or psychological issues that are present. It will also assist in addressing any ongoing co-occurring issues.
- Continuing groups of support – The motivation and accountability provided by a support group is invaluable. A support group can offer supervision when facing tests of ending treatment and taking medications. They will play a key role in ongoing success.
Treatment Levels for Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Treatment for narcissistic personality disorder will usually vary depending on the severity of the symptoms that may be occurring. If the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder are debilitating to normal and daily function, a more involved form of narcissistic personality disorder treatment should be considered. The following are common levels of care for narcissistic personality disorder treatment:
- Outpatient Treatment Care – This type of care offers some form of structured therapy in a less informal setting. It places fewer limits on the person but still implements both group and personal therapies.
- Support Group Programs – The support made available by the group is crucial in managing narcissistic personality disorder. They give the patient acceptance without condemnation as the members have all walked the same road.
Types of Pharmacological Therapy for Narcissistic Personality Disorder Treatment
There are currently no approved medications for the treatment of narcissistic personality disorder. However, prescription medications may be prescribed as necessary for the treatment and management of anxiety or depression.
Types of Therapy for Narcissistic Personality Disorder Treatment
Psychotherapy may be one of the most effective resources for healing through the narcissistic personality disorder process. The following are the main types of psychotherapies that may be used for the treatment of narcissistic personality disorder:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – This level of treatment works toward changing maladaptive thinking patterns so the patient can modify their behavior in a positive way. This also allows negative coping skills to be replaced with positive coping skills.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) – This level of rehab integrates the common behavioral therapy components CBT for the regulation of emotions. The introduction of stress management and mindful awareness are key for this therapy.
- Supportive Programs – These are programs like family therapy, group therapy, support groups, etc. These types of supportive programs are beneficial for both the family and the person suffering from narcissistic personality disorder.
If you are seeking to effectively deal with your narcissistic personality disorder, you can take the first step towards this goal by reaching out for help. A narcissistic personality disorder treatment center can be an invaluable resource to helping you rediscover yourself and regaining your life, especially when it seems that narcissistic personality disorder may have overtaken you. Consider taking the first step towards healing today and access the resources available on Addiction Hope to find a narcissistic personality disorder treatment center. Your recovery journey can begin today!
Last Updated & Reviewed By: Jacquelyn Ekern, MS, LPC on April 15th, 2013
Published on AddictionHope.com, Help & Assistance for Addiction